Meet the Lemurs!
Science Under the Stars is a free public outreach lecture series in Austin, Texas. The talk will be held outdoors at Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, Texas 78703. Here’s the schedule for this month’s event:
- 6:00 pm: Food and displays of local animals and plants found at Brackenridge Field Laboratory will be available.
- 6:15 pm: No tours this week because the sun will have set, so kid’s activities start early! Meet with our children’s division for fun activities designed for all ages.
- 6:45 pm: Short presentation about the history and current uses of Brackenridge Field Laboratory.
- 7:00 pm: Settle in, because the talk begins now!
Additional announcements (11/10):
1) No rain is expected so we will be holding the event outdoors. Bring jackets/sweaters though, it’ll be chilly!
2) We finally have more tshirts for sale, and these have a new, awesome design! If you’re interested in purchasing, please bring cash.
We hope everyone had a wonderful summer off! Now that school’s back in session, please save the date to come and hear these awesome speakers.
- September 8 at 8pm: Anne Chambers (real-life Pokemon)
- October 13 at 8pm: Marie Strader (glowing oceans)
- November 10 at 7pm: Amanda Perofsky (infectious disease and conservation)
- December 8 at 7pm: Will Shim (zombie parasites)
That’s right, guys! Science Under the Stars is making a new and exciting change and introducing summer talks. Please come out and join us for walks around BFL (early, before the talk starts) and our awesome new summer speakers!
- June 9 at 8pm: Emily Marie Booth (wildfire)
- July 14 at 8pm: Nathan LeClear (photosynthesis)
We hope everyone had an excellent holiday! Please save the date to come and hear these awesome speakers.
- February 11 at 7pm: Emma Dietrich (spider silk)
- March 10 at 7pm: Groves Dixon (DNA)
- April 14 at 8pm: Becca Tarvin (poisons)
- May 12 at 8pm: Erin Giglio (epigenetics)
Why Ants are Everywhere
Our planet hosts 20,000 species of ants. UT’s Curator of Entomology Alex Wild will lead a discussion about where ants come from, how they live, and why they are so abundant.
Science Under the Stars is a free public outreach lecture series in Austin, Texas. Events start at 7:00pm outdoors at Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, Texas 78703. Arrive early for refreshments and fun activities for kids of all ages! Guided tours of the field lab are available (wear sturdy shoes and bring water)!