Here you can discover some of the previous speakers for Science Under the Stars without having to search through the archives! More recent talks can be watched at any time on our YouTube channel, check it out!
- December 8, 2022 | UT Grad Student Pete Golightly | Through the microscope: a look at microbial life
- November 10, 2022 | UT Grad Student Xinyi Yan | The power of the unseen majority-how soil microbes shape the nature we see
- October 13, 2022 | UT Grad Student Brandi Christiano | I like big BATS and I cannot lie!
- September 8, 2022 | UT Grad Student Emily Lessig | Recognition abilities across animals
- May 12, 2022 | UT Grad Student Carly Scott | Coral Bleaching: An On-Again-Off-Again Relationship
- April 14, 2022 | UT Grad Student Whitney Behr | Plant identification for everybody
- March 10, 2022 | UT Grad Student Sam Smith | What to expect when you are an animal expecting
- February 10, 2022 | UT Grad Student David Ledesma | Fossil reptiles and amphibians from the ice age
- December 9, 2021 | UT Grad Student Julia York | Why birds are (figuratively) cooler than you
- November 18, 2021 | UT Grad Student Ruben Tovar | The world beneath your feet: a salamander’s perspective
- October 14, 2021 | UT Grad Student Britt White | Legged and legless: the story of lizard evolution
- September 9, 2021 | UT Grad Student Mackenzie Johnson | Byte-size biology: what computer can teach us about animals
- May 13, 2021 | UT Grad Student Briana Betke | Urban mammals
- April 8, 2021 | UT Grad Student Lydia Tressel | What are we eating?
- March 11, 2021 | UT Grad Student Thom Marshall | Snakes of Central Texas
- February 11, 2021 | UT Grad Student Emily Javan | COVID-19 infections in Austin, Texas
- December 10, 2020 | UT Grad Student Isaac Miller-Crews | Animal brains!
- November 12, 2020 | UT Grad Student Tristan Kubik | Planet of the insects
- October 8, 2020 | UT Grad Student Christina Balentine | Super humankind: how humans have adapted to thrive all over the world
- February 13, 2020 | UT Grad Student Natalie Foster | Dust to dust: the life cycle of stars in our universe
- December 12, 2019 | UT Grad Student Claire Hemingway | Brainy bats: strategies for finding food in the jungle at night
- November 14, 2019 | UT Grad Student Chase Rakowski | Plankton: the little alien-like creatures that might save us all
- October 10, 2019 | UT Grad Student Caitlin Leslie | Sensory superheroes: extreme animal sensory systems
- September 12, 2019 | UT Grad Student Megan O’Connell | Bees go grocery shopping
- May 9, 2019 | UT Grad Student Sarah Barfield | Permaculture principles in the sustainable food movement
- April 11, 2019 | UT Grad Student Decio Correa | All about frogs (and toads)!
- March 14, 2019 | UT Grad Student Chris Torres | Evolution of the flamingo’s smile
- February 14, 2019 | UT Grad Student Allison Davis | How to get a date: story of a clone
- December 13, 2018 | UT Grad Student Tracy Burkhard | As quiet as a mouse? (Not singing mice!)
- November 8, 2018 | UT Grad Student Colin Morrison | Plant and Animal Chemical Interactions
- October 11, 2018 | UT Grad Student Emma Dietrich | The Social Lives of Arachnids
- September 13, 2018 | UT Grad Student Kelly Wallace | Fish are smarter than we think!
- May 10, 2018 | UT Grad Student Robby Deans | Scuba Diving Arthropods: How insects (and spiders) make their living underwater
- April 12, 2018 | UT Grad Student Gautam Surya | Bird Conservation in Northeast India: the what, the how, and the why
- March 8, 2018 | NOAA Postdoctoral Associate and UT Graduate Colin Averill | Symbiosis between trees and fungi: how mycorrhizae connect our forests
- February 8, 2018 | UT Grad Student Spencer Fox | CSI: Disease Detectives
- December 14, 2017 | UT Grad Student Andrius Dagilis | Ligers and Tigons and Pizzly Bears, Oh My!
- November 9, 2017 | UT Grad Student Serena Zhao | A fungus among us: mushrooms and beyond
- October 12, 2017 | UT Grad Student Chi-Chun Andy Fang | A closer look at embryos in the animal kingdom.
- September 14, 2017 | UT Grad Student Caitlin Friesen | What it means to be a scientist.
- May 11, 2017 | Rice Professor Scott Solomon | Human Evolution in the 21st Century and Beyond
- April 13, 2017 | UT Grad Student Ashley Green | Invasive species in Texas
- March 9, 2017 | UT Grad Student Rong Ma | Horns and Thorns: Nature’s Ammunition
- February 9, 2017 | UT Graduate Alejandro Santillana | Insects Unlocked: Entomology for Everyone
- December 8, 2016 | UT Grad Student Will Shim | Real life zombies: the mind-bending power of parasites
- November 10, 2016 | UT Grad Student Amanda Perofsky | Meet the Lemurs!
- October 13, 2016 | UT Grad Student Marie Strader | Glow, Baby, Glow! Marine Life Lights Up the Oceans
- September 8, 2016 | UT Grad Student Anne Chambers | Gotta Catch ‘Em All: Real Life Pokemon
- July 14, 2016 | UT Grad Student Nathan LeClear | Photosynthesis: Past, Present, and Future
- June 9, 2016 | UT Grad Student Emily Marie Booth | Plants on Fire!
- May 12, 2016 | UT Grad Student Erin Giglio | Epigenetics: Nature and Nurture’s Love Child
- April 14, 2016 | UT Grad Student Becca Tarvin | Poisons, death, and survival in the animal kingdom
- March 10, 2016 | UT Grad Student Groves Dixon | DN-Yay!
- February 11, 2016 | UT Grad Student Emma Dietrich | Spider Silk: An Extraordinary Biomaterial
- December 10, 2015 | UT Professor Alex Wild | Why Ants are Everywhere
- November 12, 2015 | UT Grad Student Emlyn Resetarits | Hidden in Plain Sight: Camouflage, Chameleons, and Nature’s Invisibility Cloaks
- October 8, 2015 | UT Grad Student Emily Rees | Plant Defenses: Attack from All Sides
- September 17, 2015 | UT Grad Student Stavana Strutz | What’s Eating You? Texas Vectors and their Pathogens
- May 14, 2015 | UT Grad Student Kaustubh Thirumalai | Ocean Drilling for Ancient Climate Change: Using Microfossils as Time Machines
- April 9, 2015 | UT Grad Student Tracy Burkhard | Squeak, Squeak, Chirp: The Secret Lives of Mice
- March 12, 2015 | UT Postdoc Dr. Tessa Solomon-Lane | The Life and Times of a Sex-Changing Fish
- February 19, 2015 | UT Grad Student Ian Wright | Love, Marriage and Baby-carriages in the Animal Kingdom
- November 13, 2014 | UT Grad Student Mariska Brady | Diatom mania: Hunting slime!
- October 9, 2014 | UT Grad Student Catalina Cuellar-Gempeler | A Lyrical Voyage Through the Microbiome
- September 18, 2014 | UT Grad Student Rachel Wright | Are Some Corals Better Than Others?
- May 15, 2014 | UT Grad Student Mariana Vasconcellos | Brazil’s Tropical Savannah
- April 10, 2014 | UT Grad Student Gautam Surya | Bird Conservation in Northeast India: What I Do, and Why I Do It
- March 20, 2014 | UT Grad Student Liz Milano | Grassoline: Fueling the Biofuels Debate
- February 20, 2014 | UT Postdoc Dr. Bret Pasch | The Songs of Mice
- December 12, 2013 | UT Grad Student Amanda Lea | Too Many Males and Too Little Time: Mate Choice in Socially Complex Groups
- November 14, 2013 | UT Grad Student Ian Wright | SPIDERS!
- October 10, 2013 | UT Grad Student Alejo Berrio | Science From the Coffee-Lands
- September 12, 2013 | UT Grad Student Kelsey Jiang | On Choosing a Home: Lake or Stream?
- May 9, 2013 | UT Grad Student Christina Andruk | Plants On Fire!
- April 11, 2013 | UT Grad Student Ben Liebeskind | Electrical Life
- March 26, 2013 | Myrmecologist Dr. Mark Moffett | Life Among the Ants
- February 14, 2013 | UT Grad Student Victoria Huang | Sex in the Animal Kingdom
- December 13, 2012 | UT Grad Student Michael Gully-Santiago | The Science and Discovery of Stars, Sub-Stars, and Planets!
- November 8, 2012 | UT Grad Student Chintan Modi | Vaccine Development and Fluorescence
- October 11, 2012 | UT Grad Student Patrick Stinson | How Animals Adapt to Living Around Humans
- September 13, 2012 | UT Grad Student Stavana Strutz | The Wild Wild West: West Nile and Vector-borne Disease in Texas
- May 10, 2012 | O’Henry Middle School Science Teacher Michelle Brown | Adventures in Science at the Bottom of the World
- April 12, 2012 | UT Grad Student Jeanine Abrams McLean | Contagion: How Emerging Infectious Diseases Impact Amphibian Population Declines
- March 8, 2012 | UT Grad Student Genevieve Smith | Conflict Avoidance: How NOT Competing Can Be The Ticket to Success!
- February 9, 2012 | UT Grad Student Jacob Soule | Partners in Pollination
- December 8, 2011 | UT Grad Student Emily J. McTavish | Journey to the New World: The Global History of Texas Longhorn Cattle
- November 10, 2011 | UT Grad Student Nikhil Advani | The Biological Impacts of Climate Change: Insights from Butterflies!
- October 13, 2011 | UT Grad Student Patricia Salerno | The Truths & Myths Behind the Lost World of South America
- April 14, 2011 | UT Grad Student Nichole Bennett | Sex, Bugs & Rock ‘n’ Roll: Insects In Music
- March 10, 2011 | UT Grad Students Sarah Davies & Carly Kenkel | Reef-Building Corals
- February 14, 2011 | UT Undergraduate Emily Royall | Biomimicry
- December 9, 2010 | UT Grad Student Jesse Lasky | Biodiversity, Oddities and Conservation of Southeast Asian Tropical Forests
- November 11, 2010 | UT Grad Student Chad Smith | Race to Egg: How Sperm Competition Drives the Evolution of the Sexes
- October 14, 2010 | UT Grad Student Laura Dugan | Aliens Among Us: Invasive Species – What are they, what do they do and what can we do about them?
- April 14, 2010 | UT Grad Student Taylor Sultan Quedensley | Lichenized-fungi of Texas: Biology, Ecology, and Distribution of a Diverse Group of Understudied Organisms
- March 10, 2010 | UT Professor Larry Gilbert | Organisms across a dynamic landscape: Reflections on the natural and unnatural history of Central and Southern Texas
- February 10, 2010 | UT Grad Student Samuel V. Scarpino | Influenza Dynamics and Vaccination in Texas
- December 9, 2009 | UT Grad Student Barrett Klein | SLEEP and the plight of a weary honey bee
- November 11, 2009 | UT Grad Student Hayley Gillespie | Texas Salamander Extravaganza
- October 14, 2009 | Curator of Entomology John Abbott | The Art and Science of High-speed Flash Photography
- May 6, 2009 | UT Grad Student Evan Economo | The Ways of the Ant
- April 22, 2009 | UT Grad Student Eben Gering | Sexual conflict and female revolution in damselflies
- April 8, 2009 | UT Professor Sahotra Sarkar | The Balcones Canyonlands
- March 25, 2009 | UT Assistant Professor Misha Matz | Deep Sea Exploration
- March 11, 2009 | UT Grad Student Eric Miller | Seeing it as it happens: Witnessing, controlling, and understanding evolution
- February 25, 2009 | UT Professor Mike Singer | Humans, from the Perspective of a Californian Butterfly
Are the recordings of these meetings posted anywhere?
The talks from October and December 2020 and most future virtual lectures will be recorded and posted to our YouTube channel, Science Under the Stars (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWzqQVwdRGlzmWEhJnHcfKw/). Previous lectures that were held at Brackenridge Field Laboratory were not recorded. Thank you for your inquiry!