March 10th, Sam Smith
What to expect when you are an animal expecting
We know that chickens lay eggs and humans give birth, but what about kangaroos, sand tiger sharks, and aphids? Come learn about all the wacky ways that animals produce young. We will talk about the challenges of making a whole animal from a single cell (it takes a lot of energy!) and touch on how human pregnancy differs from that of other animals.
Science Under the Stars is a free public outreach lecture series in Austin, Texas. The talk will be held outdoors at Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin, Texas 78703.
- Before attending the event, take the CDC’s online Coronavirus Self-Checker to ensure you are not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms. If you are experiencing symptoms, please get tested and stay home.
- We highly recommend masking for all attendees.
- At this time, we will not be providing food or drinks to reduce the need to remove masks, please plan accordingly.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least six feet between yourself and others, seating will be spaced appropriately.
- Use the provided hand sanitizer and wash your hands (for at least 20 seconds) frequently.
For those who still prefer to attend virtually, we will be streaming the talk live on our YouTube channel. Please tune in here at 7pm CST. We ask for your patience in case of technological difficulties as we try out this new hybrid format. Feel free to post questions for the speaker in the comments and email email@example.com with any issues.
Though we currently plan to have in-person presentations, we may be forced to return to an online zoom format at any time, including for inclement weather. **Please subscribe to our emails, our blog, our YouTube channel, or our Facebook page for the most up-to-day event notifications.**
Here’s the schedule for this month’s event:
- 6:00 pm: Kid’s activities and natural history displays of local animals and plants found at Brackenridge Field Laboratory
- 6:15 pm-6:45 pm: Guided tour of the field lab (wear sturdy shoes and bring water)!
- 7:00 pm: Settle in, because the talk begins now!
- 7:45 pm: Q&A with the speaker